Tuesday, January 22, 2008

More on Rotkaeppchen...



"Once upon a time there was a dear little girl who was loved by every one who looked at her, but most of all by her grandmother, and there was nothing that she would not have given to the child. Once she gave her a little cap of red velvet, which suited her so well that she would never wear anything else. So she was always called Little Red Riding Hood." The Grimm Brothers, Rotkaeppchen.


Once again, I turn to the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Or Little Red Cap, if you prefer it by that title. Anyway, I guess I write with more questions and or comments that have come to mind. First off, in class we agreed that Red is not a little girl, but a young adult or teen. If that's the case then why do well call her Little Red Riding Hood? It wouldn't seem fitting. If LRRH is indeed a teen or preteen why didn't the writers/ publishers drop the "Little" part of her title? It seems misleading in a sense, kind of confusing. Also if, Red is indeed older then why do all the pictures/ or images I have ever seen of her seem to say otherwise. I know this is probably insignificant but I'm just wondering/ pondering here.


Also, I guess that I have never imagined Little Red Riding Hood as misogynistic. I have never perceived or thought of any fairy tale as being mysoginistic for that matter. It seems a little farfetched or silly to call it anti-feminist. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't have to go along with everyone...


Lastly, for some reason- I never saw the wolf/ werewolf as a metaphor for a rapist. But yeah I guess I can see that now. I defintley think that that is something a child would fail to see.


I think that about wraps it up for now. I'm spent on words and thoughts for now...








No comments: