Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Horton Hears a Who


"A person's a person, no matter how small." Horton Hears a Who

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.” Horton Hears a Who

Last weekend I went and saw the movie version of Horton Hears a Who and so I decided to go ahead a write a post over the movie. In short, the movie is about an elephant who discovers a microscopic universe that lives on a speck of dust. To further complicate things, he is the only one who believes that this little world exists. Throughout the movie the viewers see Horton standing up for himself and what he believes in. In the end, Horton wins and the movie ends happily. The ending it seemes, as well as the book, is suitable for children as everything ends happily ever after. I just can't imagine that this story would be suitable if Horton had been captured and the sour kangaroo had won. It wouldn't have done as well that's for sure. I for one, would have been disappointed...


What strikes me is that, unlike other stories for children it isn't something that people can relate to. This, is what I find to be the attraction. This is what makes the story good. Every once in a while, I think that people need to watch a movie that is different, and something that they don't expect. Or sometimes a person may find that they need an escape and may pick up a book where they are whisked away to an imaginary world where they can talk to sharks or play with bees. While it is good to be able to relate, I think that it may be equally as good to just get away sometimes... And one way of "getting away" is to get captured in a book, or a movie...


Also interesting is that I read that "A person's a person" quote is used among anti-abortionists which seems silly to me. I just don't like that people take something out of context and use the story/quote/idea to suit their needs. A person should come up with their own ideas. Still though, this is really interesting. I'd never thought to associate this movie with the pro-life campaign.


Last thing, I on Saturday morning I think it was, I was watching television and happened upon seeing an interview between CNN, I think it was, and Steve Carell who did the voice of the Whoville mayor. He said that his kids thought that he was pretty cool for taking on this role... In short, I think it's great if people are brought together by reading this work or because of watching the move.


That about wraps it up for now... Gotta run.

No comments: