Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Aliens For Breakfast




Outside Reading


"Well, Dranes can look like anything they want to. The one here has blond hair, blue eyes, and a smile no one can resist. He is in your class. He just showed up two days ago." Etra and Spinner, 11.


"Dorf? Dorf is an alien?" Etra and Spinner, 11.



First off I should clear the air by saying that the information I gave is based on the version of the book that I read. I couldn't find the original image of the version of the book that I read... Now then for the actual blog entry...



Apparently I've read this "chapter book" but I have no memory of having read this whatsoever. I'm at home this weekend and my mom was asking if I remember reading this book. I told her that I've never read and well she thought otherwise. So if I have read this, I have no recollection of having done so. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I have nothing to really compare it to... When I write on books that I have already read I make it a point to comment on how I felt about the book when I read it before verses how I feel about the book now. I can't do that with this book since I don't have any memory of reading the book before. I can only comment on my observations of the book at present.



Here goes, in short, I really liked the book. What I mean is that I think that it was suitable for children or rather its intended audience. It' s fresh, new and orginal and I like that a lot. One thing I hate in reading a book is when I read a book and think, " this has been done before" or " this isn't an orignal ideas." This book isn't like that at all- like I said it's good and new. I judge how good something is by whether or not it reaches its intended audience... For instance, when I go to the movies and see a scary movie I like it if it scares me. If a "scary movie" makes me laugh then it isn't good. If a comedy doesn't make me laugh I'm not likely to like the movie. Likewise, if a book does well and reaches many I like it. I'm defintley not a kid, but I can imagine that a kid would like this book.



Why do I think that??



Simply put, a person needs an escape sometimes and a book provides the perfect opportunity to do so. It is in reading, and watching movies of course, that we get to travel to worlds we never knew existed. We get to fight in battles against overwhelming odds, we get to sail down the mighty Mississipi with Huck and Jim, and get to fall in love with a handsome prince. Who wouldn't like that?? It sounds like so much fun. In Aliens for Breakfast, readers get to fight, with the aid of a space alien from the planet Ganoob, in a battle to save Earth. How do we fight? We feed the enemy red pepper flakes. Ha ha ha. That's funny and so unexpected. This is what I liked, that I didn't expect it to be so easy to depose the enemy.



Others might have a different opinion but I thought that it was great. Like I said, it fun , fresh and new. We may have read about aliens before but we haven't read this. It defitley isn't your typical alien story. No, it's different and unique and marches to the beat of it's own drum. And in my opinion, that's what it takes for a story to be a success. Like I said, nobody wants to read about a story that lacks in originality. It just isn't good...



So, yeah I think that's it for now. It's late I need to go.

No comments: