Monday, April 14, 2008

The Amazing Sharon Draper


"I am a creator, an educator, a visionaryI approach the world with the eyes of an artist, the ears of a musician, and the soul of a writer. I see rainbows where others see only rain, and possibilities when others see only problems. I love spring flowers, summer's heat on my body, and the beauty of the dying leaves in the fall. Classical music, art museums, and ballet are sources of inspiration, as well as blues music, dim cafes, and the jitterbug. I love to write; words flow easily from my fingertips, and my heart beats rapidly with excitement as an idea becomes a reality on the paper in front of me. I use all of these elements to encourage my students as well as myself. I'm a learner and a seeker of knowledge, and I take my students along on my journey. I smile often, and laugh easily, and I weep at pain and cruelty. I love what I do, and I'm good at it. I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."


Alright, so where do I begin? I guess I should start off by saying that I didn't know how amazing this author is until yesterday. I'm reading a book for "outside reading" and wanted to find out more information on this author so I searched for her online. I was really surprised and impressed by what I found. Her website is awesome!

To explain, the above quote that I used for this post is what Sharon Draper says of herself and her writing... I thought it was a really neat and poetic statement so I wanted to include it, even though that's a long statement and takes up a lot of space. Now then, here are some other details on Draper that describe her. Rather, here is a list of accomplishments that describe and let others know what about her:



  • In the mid 90's her first book was published., I think it looks to be this way based on what her website says

  • She is the winner of various awards including but not limited to: Ohio's Outstanding High School Language Arts Educator, Ohio Teacher of the Year, and was chosen as a NCNW Excellence in Teaching Award winner; she has won the Coretta Scott King Award five times for five different books and well the list goes on from there.

  • We obviously know now that she is/was a teacher for 30yrs.

  • The list doesn't stop there but I think that's good and is representative to what kind of a writer/ person she is.

Also, on the website she is a tab titled, "for new teacher" where she gives advice to new teachers. I think that it's neat that she did that and so I just thought that I would mention about that in my entry...


I think that does a good job of explaining who she is and how amazing she is as well. If not here is the link to her website: http://sharondraper.com/home.asp .


So that about wraps it up. Gotta run.


-Amanda

No comments: