Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes


"A dream is a wish your heart makes



When you're fast asleep



In dreams you will lose your heartaches



Whatever you wish for, you keep






Have faith in your dreams and someday



Your rainbows will come smiling through



No matter how your heart is grieving



If you keep on believing



the dream that you wish will come true






A dream is a wish your heart makes



When you're feeling small



Alone in the night you whisper



Thinking no one can hear you at all



You wake with the morning sunlight



To find fortune that is smiling on you



Don't let your heart be filled with sorrow



For all you know, tomorrow



The dream that you wish will come true






A dream is a wish your heart makes...






A dream is a wish your heart makes...






You wake with the morning sunlight



To find fortune that is smiling on you



Don't let your heart be filled with sorrow



For all you know, tomorrow



The dream that you wish will come true






No matter how your heart is grieving



If you keep on believing



The dream that you wish will come true."






David, Hoffman and Livingston







I didn't realize it but this song was written specially for Disney's version of the Cinderella movie. That is at least- the truth according to the Internet. But, I have no doubt that this is true. Regardless, it is a great song and a classic among many. So, I decided to write on it. I'll be frank I didn't know what else to write on. I feel like I'm running out of ideas...



I was writing a story for my Advanced Prose class last night and for some reason I started thinking about Disney movies and songs. This, Cinderella was one of the first Disney movies that I watched when I was younger. And by young, I really do mean young. I put myself at the age of maybe four or five. But honestly I'm not sure. I do remember however, that I liked this song.


It has a good message. But, in looking at the song again, I'm not sure I totally agree with it. I don't think that your dreams will always come true. You have to do more than believe that they will come true. You have to be proactive. You have to get out there and work and be willing to do whatever it takes to make these dreams come to fruition. Even then, dreams don't always come true.


Sometimes, things just happen and your dreams don't come to pass. Maybe for instance you know someone who has dreams of becoming an astronaut but may not be able to get into the program. Maybe a child dreams simply dreams that they will go to college, graduate, marry, have kids and then live happily ever after. For whatever reason, this person doesn't get married or maybe he does marry but his spouse isn't able to have children. Others have hard lifves, their childhood is troubled... It is much harder for this kid than it is for the one who has the money and supportive parents. And in all likeliness their dreams will not come to pass. It's sad but it's reality.



Anyway, my point is that I don't agree with ALL of this. I agree that a person's dreams can come true, but by the same token that they may not come true. As mentioned, previously a person has to work hard to bring their dream into fruition. Even then, that may not be enough. I feel bad saying that, but it is truth of the matter and I find it important to be truthful with others and with theirself.


On the other hand, this song is good in that it has really sold and transcends through time. It wouldn't have done well had it been changed. In a sense, a person needs to hear that even their most wild, most vivid dream can come true. It's a harsh world- just watch the news. Sometimes people need an escape, and can find that escape in watching a movie or listening to a song. Moreover, children are not prepared to face the realities that their dreams may be too bold or too big. They need to feel like they are supported and like they can do anything. This song speaks that message of hope...














No comments: