Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing


Outside Reading
“When I was safely inside I looked at myself in the mirror. I wish Fudge had never been born, I thought. Everything good always happens to him! If he had to be born I wish he could be nine or ten- like me. Then Mr. Vincent wouldn’t want him to be the one to ride the Toddle-Bike in his commercial.” Blume, 94.
“It was disgusting. Presents and kisses and attention for Fudge. I couldn’t even look at him. He was having fun! He probably wasn’t even sorry he ate my turtle.” Blume, 123.

I vaguely remember my mom reading this to me as a child. I could even be mistaken, she may not have but I think that she did. What I do know, and remember is that I really liked Ramona Quimby and those books by Judy Blume. I loved them…Anyway, I decided after reading this book that I like it. It has an interesting feel to it. If anything, I can definitely see why Blume has done so well. It’s something that children can relate to. I personally cannot. I am the youngest, but I imagine that my brother felt this way when I was growing up. I never thought about it until now but I certainly can see the disadvantage in being the oldest kid. It just seems to me that a person is better off being the youngest. But, that just my opinion. I don’t think it matters when siblings are grown but it seems to matter when children are younger.

Anyway, this book was a delightful read and a quick one at that. I really enjoyed getting to know the character. He seems to be a good storyteller and really does a good job making his points. Sometimes, an older child wishes that they were alone again, that they were an only child. I know I don’t, I like that I’m not the only-child. However, it’s different for others. So more on the story… Like I said, I liked it. The pacing was good, the wording and syntax worked. It really did seem as if it was a 9 year old who was telling the story. Sometimes writers don’t do a good job with the narration and it really messes up the story. It just doesn’t work if the narrator, who is say 7 uses words that a 7 year old wouldn’t use. Here, Peter Hatcher- the 9 year old storyteller tells his story as he sees fit and does not use words that he would not use…

I honestly think that’s it for now. I know this is a short installment, but I just don’t know what else to say… Gotta run.

-Amanda

No comments: