Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Tale of Peter Rabbit


" Once upon a time their were four little Rabbits, and their names were- Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-Tail and Peter. They lived with their Mother in a sand-bank, underneath the root of a very big fir-tree," Potter, 7

We haven't discussed this story in class yet but I figured that I would go ahead and write on it anyway. So, here goes... Onward with the entry.

First off, this story kind of reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood. Peter goes to Mr. McGregor's house even though his mother warns the little rabbits not to. On the same token, LRRH strays from the path even though her mother tells her not to.

In some tales Red wins; in other versions she doesn't make it out alive. Luckily, Peter gets out of the garden alive. For a while we are not so sure if he will get away. I was hoping he would, and he did. It makes sense though, why would you kill off the main character? That doesn't make sense. It would certainly make for a much shorter story, and less interesting if it came out any other way, if Peter was caught and killed by Mr. Mc Gregor.

Furthermore, I think that if the ending had been different and Peter had been caught, and killed then this story would not be suitable for children. In my opinion, it just isn't right to make children read about characters who are murdered, whether or not they are animals. Children are not ready to deal with death, on a psychological level that is. I think that the idea of death, and sufferering are a little too mature for a child to deal with, so an author should keep that in mind when he or she writes.

Next, I think it interesting that the mother seems so detached when she speaks of the father/ husband. I know I just got done with saying that children don't need to read about death, but I still think that she's insensitive. But perhaps, the mother does grieve, but maybe she does so when the kids aren't around. Maybe she feels like she has to be strong for them. Who knows?? Or, it could be that this aspect of Mrs. Rabbit's life just isn't important to the book, and would do nothing to further the story. Personally, I think that's the right answer. In the end though, I don't think that there is any one right answer to these questions that we pose. As I've said before, I think it would be bold of me to say that I am right, and that everyone else is wrong. That would be selfish...

So, yeah, I think that's enough. Gotta run.

-Amanda

No comments: