Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fun With My Friend Jack; I mean C.S Lewis

Extra Outside Reading
" Once there were four children living in London whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. During the Second World War, because of air-raids, they were sent far away into the country into the country to stay at the house of Professor Kirke. This story is about their adventure there" (C.S. Lewis, 1).


So, I went through the drive through at the new Chick-fil-A a few weeks ago with my friend... We got kids meals and this book is what came with the kids meal. I thought it was interesting that we should get books instead of a toy. I don't ever remember getting a book when I was younger and got kids meals at fast-food restaurants. All I ever got were toys... But, do not misunderstand me. I think it's neat that we got books. In an age where children watch more TV and read less it is uncommon that a fast-food-restaurant would give aways a book. I must applaud Chick-fil-A for doing this, for promoting literacy.

Now for the actual post...

I never realized that these books, The Chronicles of Narnia, had been altered in any way. I did see the movie The Chronicles of Narnia but I did not read the book. I don't remember why but I just didn't. These adaptations appeal to children which is great. The original version of the book is aimed for older children, and adolescents but these adaptations would probably work just fine. They are break up the story that we are familiar with, and make it easier for children to read. It is a long book, if I'm recalling correctly. These shortened versions make it more manageable for younger children to read.


But, I must point out that the book does actually have a lot of text. So, children who are unable to read the book should have a parent read it to them. Nonetheless, it does work. It's a good story, and gives parents and children options. Moreover, this story works because, as stated previously, it appeals to children. When children are are able to engage because the book is good, they learn. When they learn they are better off.


And also, as stated in previous posts, when a book appeals to a person they are better off because they relate to the literature and their own little world in general. In short, the realatiblity( sp?) factor is very important as people need to feel connected and affiliated.
Anyway, it was a good book, and a good option over the real unabridged version. I would definitley suggest it to children if they were trying to find something to read... I think that about wraps it up for now...


I should go.

No comments: