Saturday, February 9, 2008

Amazing Grace


Outside Reading

"Grace was a girl who loved stories. She didn't mind if they were read to herr or told to her or made up in her own head. She didn't care if they were in books or movies or out of Nana's long memory. Grace just loved stories." Amazing Grace, Mary Hoffman; Caroline Binch

I vaguely remember reading this story as a child; I couldn't have been more than seven years at the time. But what I do remember is that I liked the book. Once again, I find that I enjoyed the book. It's a unique story and really warms the heart. It has a feel to it, a very special Caribbean feel. However, one thing I do not like is that Grace, who I assume lives in this current era, is told that she cannot play the role of Peter Pan because she is African American.

In this day and age, traces of what use to be are left behind. For the most part, I see that people are more tolerant and accepting of those outside of their race. Today, people of all races, nations and tribes work and live together in a near perfect harmony. I am however, a caucasian female writing this so I guess I kind of have a biased opinion on this matter. I do realize that racism is still alive and well in some people but we Americans do tend to think differently than those that raised us... Another thing that I like about this book is that by the end of the story the conflict has resolved itself. Grace regains her confidence when her Nana takes her to the ballet. Afterwards she regains confidence and lands the role of Peter Pan in her school's production of the play Peter Pan. And I suppose that the author writes this way to teach the readers, both young and new, a lesson. The lesson- is that all children given the right circumstances can do anything if they just set their minds to the task at hand.

1 comment:

Hyangmi said...

The story looks very interesting! The issue of race in children's literature could be a good topic for your paper, I think. Check Vista for your second journal grade.