Friday, February 15, 2008

D.W. Thinks Big





Outside Reading

"'I may be little said D.W., but sometimes I can be a big help.'" Marc Brown, D.W. Thinks Big


Among my favorite authors as a child was Marc Brown. I'm not sure why I liked them but what strikes me now is that it would probably be easy for a kid to relate to these stories. The stories deal with issues that children face thus they serve a meaning powerful role in the lives of those who read Marc Brown's books. In reading this again, the story was powerful because I was able to relate to D.W. I am the little sister and I have one older brother. I don't exactly remember the times when I was too young to help or do something but this story tells me what I might have been like for me.


Another thing I like about the book is that D.W does help and proves that she is not too young and not a nuisance. Without her the wedding wouldn't have been possible. Her parents and brother are wrong and in the end, it is D.W who is getting all the praise and glory. In the beginning it is Arthur. I remember all the times growing up that I felt that I lived in the shadow of my brother. He had blazed the trails before me, and met all the teachers who might one day teach me. When I got to high school, I met his friends and acquaintances. I was always known as “Nick’s little sister” and I hated it. He was and is very, very smart. I'm smart but in a different way than Nick is... So, I think it’s the same for D.W. Arthur kind of blazes the trails too.


Anyway, I think that's about it. I'm spent on words; my brain is tired... It's been a long week.

No comments: