Friday, February 8, 2008

The Rushed Childhoods of the 21st Century


"I am not a child now

I can take care of myself

I mustn't let them down now

I Mustn't let them see me cry

Cause I'm fine, I'm fine


I'm too tired to listen

I'm too old to believe

All these childish stories

There is no such thing as faith

And trust and pixie dust


I'll try

But it's so hard to believe

I'll try

But I can't see where you see

I'll try, I'll try, I'll try.


My whole world is changing

I don't know where to turn

I can't leave you waiting

But I can't stay and watch this city burn

Ooh, Watch it burn'


Cause I'll try

But it's so hard to believe

I'll try

But I can't see where you see

I'll try, I'll try


I'll try and try to understand

The distance in between

The love I feel and the things I fear

And every single dream


I can finally see it

Now I have to believe

All those precious stories

All the world is made of

Faith, and trust... and pixie dust.


So, I'll try

Because I finally believe

I'll try, cuz I can see where you see


I'll try, I'll try

I'll try...

Woah woah woah woah..

To fly." I'll Try, Writer Unknown


Okay so I feel like I'm writing about a lot of songs but I really like this song and the movie, Return to Neverland. I guess what I like is that it's relatable. People can relate to the main character Jane, who happens happens to be Wendy's daughter. Jane's childhood is cut short, and for many children growing up in the 21st century it is the same. In a perfect world all children would get the same opportunities as their peers but the sad truth is that they do not. For the most part children who do not come from good homes with loving parents have to grow up a lot faster. When a parent fails to fullfil the role, for whatever reason, of parent then a child might step in and become a sort of caretaker to a younger child. It seems a morbid thought that the parent would fail in their role as a caretaker and provider but I've seen and read about it far too often. As these children are forced into taking on more responsibility they leave their childhood behind and grow up all too soon.


In the end, Jane wins and hopefully these children who grow up too soon will too. How does Jane win? She is kidnapped by Captain Hook and is kind forced into believing all the wild stories that her mother told her. And it's kind of a blessing in the end. The setting of the story takes place in WWII London, where no one is safe and children are definitley forced to grow up. This kidnapping lightens the mood for Jane and improves the situation in the end. Hopefully, these children if nothing else can find something, or someone to believe in. I think it crucial to find something to believe in, and for children to take their time growing up...

No comments: