Monday, February 11, 2008

I Cannot Go To School Today


Not Exactly Outside Reading

"I cannot go to school today."
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.

My mouth is wet, my throat is dry.
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox.

And there's one more - that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue,It might be the instamatic flu.

I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke.
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in.

My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My toes are cold, my toes are numb,

I have a sliver in my thumb.

My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,

I think my hair is falling out.

My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,

There's a hole inside my ear.

I have a hangnail, and my heart is ...
What? What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is .............. Saturday?

G'bye, I'm going out to play!" Shel Silverstein, I Cannot Go To School Today




When I was in in fifth grade Mrs. Hatcher, my history/langauge arts teacher made us memorize this poem. I thought it would be appropriate for me to use seeing as how everyone is getting "sick." Then, my second class got cancelled today because our professor was sick. I did everything but check my TAMU email when I was in the Blocker computer lab. I feel kind of stupid. But anyway, without further ado here's the latest "installment."

What I like about this poem and about this author is that it's sort of a classic. Shel Silverstein is among the best known children's author's of all times. Dr. Seuss I would have to say is number one but Silverstein would probably take the silver or bronze if poets got olympic medals. In regards to this poem in particular I like that it, like other poems, is relatable that every child at one point or another has played hooky from school and has attempted to convince his or her parent that he or she is unable to go to school. Little Peggy Ann McKay is no different. She uses every excuse in the book. While it would be impossible that she be so ill, I think that her attempts to feign her caretaker are good and bold. Realistically speaking, she would be dead if she were as ill as she makes herself out to be. But, being that she's a child, she probably doesn't think about this. It is though, as I said a charming poem and something that we can all relate to.

For example, I don't remember how old I was but I remember this one time when I was younger I had stayed home because I was sick and then I wanted to go to Wednesday night church because I felt better but my Mom wouldn't let me. At the time, I was furious but it made sense when I really thought about it. So yeah, I like this poem because we can relate and because it seemed fitting to write on this poem today. Besides that, Silverstein, as I have also said is among the best poets ever...

I think that's it for now. Gotta run.

No comments: